Table of Contents
All You Need To Know About How To Make Moi Moi
Of course, Moi Moi or MoinMoin recipe is a traditional and one of famous Nigerian dish made of steamed ground beans and hit spices. It is typically served at wedding receptions, parties, and other occasions.
Obviously, it’s a very simple recipe to make MoiMoi at home, and it is very delicious. Following are the steps for preparing MoiMoi, which is easy to follow.
Ingredients for MoiMoi:
- Dry black peas: 1/2 cups.
- Bell peppers: 1 Medium in size.
- Scotch Bonnet or Rodo or Habanero peppers: 1/2 cup.
- Large onion: 1/2.
- De-boned smoked fish cut into tiny pieces: 8 oz.
- Bouillon: 3 Tablespoons.
- Hot boiling water: 1/4 – 1/2.
- Vegetable oil: 1/2 cup.
- Salt to taste.
- Banana leaves: 3-4 broadsheets or
- Aluminum foil or
- ewe eran.
Instructions for moimoi:
- Depending on the type of beans, soak the beans in water for more or less than 1 hour. After about an hour, the beans of the skin will start wrinkling a little bit.
- Pour the beans, just enough to cover them with water in a blender, blend the beans about 5-6 times. In this process, beans will break, and the skin gets separates from beans.
- Then, you can take the beans into a large bowl. Wash off the beans several times with water each rinse. Easily skin will get separated because the sink of beans are lighter and will float at the top.
- When it’s done, pour the skinless or peeled beans, red pepper, scotch bonnet, bouillon, and onion with 1 cup of water in a blender and blend it smoothly.
- Pour the blended bean in a blow, Place the oil and salt for taste, mix perfectly. Then, you can test the bean mixture to check for salt.
- Ensure the mixture should be thin with warm water until it forms a light texture of cake batter (May need less than 1/2 cup of hot water).
- Now, take the oil and brush every ramekin with it. Fill each ramekin with mixture upon to 3/4 full, and put the piece of fish at the ramekin’s top.
- Place a layer of banana leaves or ewe eran in a pot with a fitting pot cover, then pour boiled water in the pot until it’s around 1 inch deep. Moreover, place the ramekin on top of the banana leaves in the jar. It should not be more than halfway up the ramekin to get the hot water. It was using a layer of banana leaf to coat the ramekin.
- According to your pot size, place the layered ramekins in the pot. You can clearly put the extra ramekins over another sheet of banana leaves that covered the first layer of ramekins to do, then cover it with another sheet of banana leaves.
- Put something that covers pot, and let it steam for 45 minutes with low heat. Check after 45 minutes of this. To check placed skewer in the middle of it, just like a cake, skewer should come out clean. Then you can enable it for another 5-10 minutes to finish steaming if it doesn’t.
- Finally, let the MoiMoi calm for 5 minutes and then serve it with unmoulded ramekins.
Time for making beans pudding:
- Preparation time: 5 hours.
- Cook time: 45 minutes.
- Total time required: Nearly 5 hours, 45 minutes.
Calories and Nutrition information:
This information is for one serving.
- Calories: 110.4 kcal.
- Total fat: 9 g.
- Saturated fat: 1.3 g.
- Trans fat: 0 g.
- Protein: 3.8 g.
- Cholesterol: 10.9 mg.
- Sodium: 685.4 mg.
- Total Carbohydrate: 3.5 g
- Sugars: 1 g.
- Dietary fibre: 1 g.
- Calcium: 1%.
- Iron: 3 %.
- Vitamin-A: 7%.
- Vitamin-C: 24%.