If you use retainers after orthodontic treatment, it’s essential to clean them every day as you clean your teeth every retainer is also meant to be clean. When you eat something, your teeth may get affected by the plague, bacteria, etc. The retainer will also get affected.
Hence, cleaning retainer is very important. People wear retainers after removing the braces because they want to give their teeth better structure and rigidness. Cleaning the retainers has many tricks.
Below we have provided detailed information about the retainers and also some extra tips for keeping your retainers safe.
How do retainers work?
When you put the retainers for full-time or part-time they help the muscles in your mouth to hold the teeth properly. Some people prefer to wear the retainer at night for better results.
There are 3 types of retainers they are
1) Hawley retainers – Made of acrylic.
2) Clear plastic retainers – They are invisible.
3) Fixed, bonded retainers – also known as a permanent retainer.
Retainers also help your teeth to acquire a better structure before. Doctors always recommend wearing retainers after removing the braces for better muscle power and to maintain a tooth pattern.
Instructions for how to clean retainers?
Cleaning the retainers every day is recommended just like you brush your teeth. The best time to clean the retainer is, to clean after having the meal. Clean the retainers when they are wet, hence it will be easy for you to remove all the dirt.
It is always suggested that you should clean your retainers regularly.
1) Remove the retainers and keep them with castile soap or white vinegar.
2) For better cleaning, you should soak your retainer with warm water and baking soda for 20 minutes once a week.
3) After that scrub, the retainer with a soft-bristled toothbrush or you can also use the cotton swab for cleaning.
4) You can also try cleaning solutions with fewer chemicals used in them.
5) Rinse your retainer thoroughly and make sure that it is properly clean.
6) It is highly recommended that not to use the denture cleaner as it contains persulfate that can cause irritation in your skin or mouth as it is the allergen.
7) Let your retainer dry for about 1 hour.
Using baking soda for cleaning
You can also clean your retainer using baking soda only for it steps are as follows: –
1) First of all, You can create a mixture of baking soda and water and let the mixture be for 30 minutes.
2) After that put the retainer into that mixture and let it be for 15 minutes.
3) When the 15 minutes time is over scrub it with little cold water or lukewarm water.
4) You can also use the distilled water for soaking the retainer.
Other useful tips: –
1) Use a good retainer case for better safety of the retainer. Don’t use cases which are prone to dirt.
2) Avoid using the heat products for the retainers. As they will damage the retainers.
3) Try to wear the retainers often don’t try to procrastinate while it comes to wearing.
4) You can try to keep retainers away from the children and pets.
5) Use them till their validity after that try replacing them or buy a new one.
In this post, we have shared information about the retainer and also how to clean it regularly. What products are used to clean the retainers? We have tried to answer the frequently asked question which is related to the retainers.
On the other hand, we have also shared some other information about keeping your retainer clean and safe. I hope that you have got all the answers to your question regarding retainers. Stay safe stay healthy thank you. Stay connected.