Batteries are an important part of many devices and machines and hence one can easily say that they are the heart of machines. Distilled water is a fluid that is used inside a battery and that helps in the functioning of the battery. Batteries use acid and this acid is important for the electricity to flow inside the battery, but the acid needs to be dilute for this to happen. Hence, the battery should contain distilled water so that it may dilute the acid present in the battery and help it in its functioning.
Why use distilled water in batteries and what is wrong with normal water?
Never use normal water in place of distilled water because you will not be doing any good for your battery. Normal water is rich in ingredients such as metal ions and hence there can be a chemical reaction between the acid and the ions which will be degrading the battery life along with its charging capacity. Distilled water, however, is free from these ions and thus performs its task of diluting the acid well.
How does the formation of distilled water happen and what makes it so special for batteries?
Distilled water is a purer form of natural water which forms when we boil natural water. Once boiling of the water begins, the water starts evaporating into the vapors and then in some time it starts condensing back into the water. This water, which we get after the condensation process, is the purer form of natural water and we call it as distilled water. On the other hand, check out this why we need water article to learn the benefits also.
How can we make distilled water at home easily to use in the batteries?
If you are looking to refill your battery with distilled water, you need to get the distilled water either from the market or you can make it at home. To make distilled water on your own, you need some easily available ingredients and utensils and follow the steps as suggested below-
- Take a big pan (preferably steel) with good depth and fill 1/4th of it with natural or tap water. We will be heating this pan on the gas stove so choose the pan accordingly.
- Now, take a smaller pan, preferably having half the depth of the big pan from the first step. Choose this smaller pan such that it can easily get inside the bigger pan, can withstand the heat generated by boiling water and can also float over water.
- Next, take a glass lid that can cover up the bigger pan and ensure there are no holes or leakage points in the glass lid. Place this lid on the pan to cover the pan’s surface so that the vapors generating from the boiling the water do not escape the pan. Place this glass lid in a way (probably inverted) so that we can easily put some ice over it.
- Now, place a big ice cube or several small ice cubes on the lid and ensure that it can stay over the lid for the entire process.
- Next, you need to turn on the stove flame and start heating the pan so that the water in the pan starts converting into vapors.
- The vapors will rise and hit the glass lid which will be colder due to the presence of ice over it. The vapors will start condensing due to the change in temperature and the droplets will form and will start getting accumulated in the smaller pan.
- Wait till this process completes and keep removing the water from above the glass lid.
Finally, your smaller pan will have distilled water made by you at your own home.
Different usages of distilled water that we have apart from its usage in batteries
Distilled water has numerous advantages and the uses of distilled water do not limit to just batteries. Besides batteries, distilled water finds its usage in the following –
Drinking distilled water and avoiding the problems that natural water may cause
Drinking natural water which contains minerals is a recommendation that many researchers share. However, in today’s time, the water that reaches our household may not fit the drink. It may contain those minerals which our body does not need for energy or processing. In that case, our body has to use extra energy to process these unwanted minerals. Whereas, distilled water is free from such minerals and contaminations and so it is a better drinking option.
The combination of cosmetic products and distilled water to keep your make up safe for you
Everyone wants to look beautiful and makeup is one thing that makes you look more beautiful. So, you would not want your makeup to degrade your skin because of some chemical reactions with the minerals present in the natural water. So, using distilled water along with your makeup material is always advisable than using natural water.
Lab use to avoid any unwanted results due to natural water
In labs, we need to perform several experiments that involve water and distilled water is nothing else but pure water. So, using distilled water in place of natural water helps in getting more accurate results of our lab experiments.
Use in the medical field to clean the medical instruments and washing injuries
Medical persons use distilled water in their field to clean medical instruments and to wash the patients’ injuries. In this way, they are able to avoid any reaction with the minerals present in the natural water.
For cooking food to avoid discoloring of the food items
Some vegetables, when washed with acidic or base water, leave color because of a chemical reaction. With distilled water, these chemical reactions do not take place and the original color of the vegetable remains intact.
Distilled water is important for use in the batteries to improve the battery’s life. Natural water is not fit for this purpose as it contains several minerals that can react with the battery acid. As we understood, we can easily make distilled water at home by following simple steps of vaporization and condensation. at last, you want to make your nose smaller then find out that mentioned link and read out all those methods.